The organ was installed in 1915 and is the magnificent last new instrument to be built by one of the most highly respected organ building firms of that period, William Hill and Son. Its purchase was made possible by a donation of £1000 for the purpose, leaving the church to find the remaining £800. Like the church, it is conceived in a grand scale, larger than some cathedral instruments of the time. The stoplist remains today as originally installed, and is typical of this late stage of the firm’s output. Although always designed to be under expression, the Solo division was enclosed and a tremulant supplied a year later in 1916. This work was carried out by the Hill team, now part of William Hill & Son, Norman & Beard Ltd. The organ was overhauled in 1928 by the same firm—details are in the archive section of this site. Although the organ has been dismantled and reassembled twice in its lifetime to allow access to the roofs above and below, no ordered restorative work has taken place other than the re-leathering of secondary motors in the 1970s. These motors are again causing problems. The organ—an internationally outstanding example of early 20th century instrument manufacture—is in remarkable condition given that it is nearly 100 years old, with all original components surviving.